The ruins of the Great Tower of the Bishop, with those of St Nicholas' Chapel in the background to the left, as they would have appeared c 1780. The chapel was built in 1456 by Bishop Andrew Muirhead along with the hospital which adjoins it. In 1471 Muirhead added Provand's Lordship to the north of the chapel, and it survives on Castle Street today. The chapel and hospital were removed in 1808 to make way for St Nicholas Street.
St Nicholas' Chapel was built in the Gothic style with buttresses between its windows. Bishop Muirhead's coat of arms was carved above the doorway and is clearly visible in this illustration.
Reference: Mitchell Library GC f914.14353 STU
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Bishop's Castle, Bishop's Palace, chapels, churches, coats of arms, Gothic, horses and carts, hospitals, St Nicholas' Chapel, St Nicholas' Hospital