The ruins of the Great Tower and other buildings of the Bishop's Castle, as depicted by James Brown in 1848. The castle was largely neglected after the departure of the Roman Catholic hierarchy from Glasgow in 1560. Nevertheless, it was garrisoned in 1570 when it was besieged by forces loyal to Mary, Queen of Scots. By the 18th century it had become little more than a quarry for builders, who demolished walls and removed stones to use in the construction of new buildings in the city. The ruins were entirely removed in 1792, when work began to build the new Glasgow Royal Infirmary on the site.
Reference: Mitchell Library GC f914.14353 STU
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Bishop's Castle, Bishop's Palace, castles, Glasgow Royal Infirmary, Great Tower, palaces, towers