John Knox's view of Glasgow Fair at the western end of Glasgow Green, c 1832. The Nelson Monument is in the background.
In the middle ages the annual fair consisted primarily of horse, cattle and produce markets, with food and drink stalls and popular entertainment laid on for fair-goers. By the beginning of the 19th century, when the markets had removed to other parts of the city, the focus had shifted to the entertainment booths and all manner of shows and side-shows, especially for the working classes.
In 1815 a ground rent for stall holders was introduced and the proceeds went initially to the cost of maintaining the city's wells. The fair moved to Vinegar Hill north of Camlachie in 1871.
Reference: Mitchell Library G 941.435 EYR
Reproduced with the Permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries, Information and Learning
cattle markets, drink stalls, entertainments, fairground booths, fairground shows, fairground side-shows, fairground stalls, fairs, food stalls, Glasgow Fair, Glasgow Green, horse markets, Nelson Monument, parks, penny geggies, produce markets, wells