The Royal Bank of Scotland in Royal Exchange Square was designed by Archibald Elliot and built in 1827, when the bank moved from its premises in the Cuninghame Mansion (now the Gallery of Modern Art). The corner of the latter building can be seen on the right of this engraving.
The exterior is in Greek style, and was linked to the buildings on either side by triumphal arches which allow pedestrian access to Buchanan Street. During the 1990s the building was converted to become Glasgow's largest bookshop.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 914.14353 CUL/SCO
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
banks, bookshops, Cunninghame Mansion, Glasgow Museum of Modern Art, GOMA, Royal Bank of Scotland, triumphal arches