Joseph Swan's engraving showing George Square from the south-east, 1829.
Above the roofs of the buildings on the western side of the square can be seen the steeple of St George's Tron Church on Buchanan Street. The Theatre Royal is at the north-west corner on Queen Street. The buildings on the north side of the square were generally held to be the most handsome, but on the eastern side (the corner of one building appears on the extreme right of this view) there was a row of very plain houses, swept away in 1883 to be replaced by the City Chambers.
St Vincent Place can be seen rising up the hill to the left of the image. The 7 feet high statue in the square is that of Sir John Moore (1761-1809), "The Hero of Corunna" who was born nearby in Trongate. It was designed by John Flaxman and completed in 1819, ten years after Moore's death at the battle in Spain.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 914.14353 SWA
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
generals, George Square, Glasgow City Chambers, horses and carriages, sculptors, sculptures, soldiers, squares, St George's Tron Church, statues, streetscenes, Theatre Royal, theatres, women