This view of the Clyde at the Broomielaw c 1829 shows many of the different types of vessels to be found on the river.
In the immediate foreground are two women and what appears to be a dog, about to embark a small rowing boat which is almost certainly a ferry. A similar boat can be seen mid-stream. To the left is a paddle steamer which has probably just set off from the Broomielaw Quay, which lies behind the forest of masts on the far side of the river. In the centre of the image is a yacht with open sail and on the south bank an industrial barge is being loaded.
The bridge in the background is the Glasgow Bridge, or Jamaica Street Bridge. Its distinctive ox-eyes were designed to allow flood waters to flow past without damaging the structure. The Jamaica Street Bottle Works belches smoke on the north bank, and the Merchants' Steeple and the tower of St Andrew's Parish Church are visible in the distance.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 914.14353 SWA
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
barges, Broomielaw Bridge, ferries, Glasgow Bridge, Glasgow Harbour, Jamaica Street Bridge, masts, Merchants' Steeple, paddle steamers, River Clyde, row boats, sailing boats, sailing ships, ships, St Andrew's Parish Church, steam ships, steeples, towers, women, yachts