Joseph Swan's view of the Justiciary Courts, looking along Greendyke Street from the corner of Charlotte Street, 1829. The building was erected to the design of the architect William Stark 1810-1814 to accommodate the court house, jail and municipal offices which had previously been housed in the ageing Tolbooth and town hall on Trongate.
To the right is the Merchants' Steeple in Bridgegate and behind the Courts is the steeple of Gorbals Parish Church. The wooden bridge seen through the trees is the one which replaced the original Hutchesontown Bridge destroyed by the great flood of 1795.
In the foreground is the western tip of Glasgow Green where linen was hung out to dry. Bundles of clothes and linen are being carried to the wash-house on the Green by cart, in a basket and on a woman's back. A fashionable couple are setting out for a promenade on the Green, while cattle are being driven along Greendyke Street.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 914.14353 SWA
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
cattle, drying greens, Glasgow Green, Gorbals Parish Church, High Court, Hutchesontown Bridge, jails, Justiciary Courts, linen, Merchants' Steeple, parks, wash-houses, washing, wooden bridges