Joseph Swan's engraving (1829) from a drawing by John Fleming of the University of Glasgow's Hunterian Museum, which was designed by the architect William Stark and opened in 1807. It housed the collection belonging to William Hunter, an East Kilbride man who became a distinguished physician in London. The collection contained 12,000 books, a considerable archeological and geological collection, paintings, shells and a large number of miscellaneous objects from around the world. Hunter bequeathed it to the University of Glasgow in 1783.
The Hunterian was Scotland's first public museum. Its exterior was designed in the Roman style. Rising from a flight of steps is a facade of six doric columns which support an ornamented pediment. The dome crowning the building was of stone, topped by a glass cupola. The museum was relocated on Gilmorehill after the University moved there from High Street.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 914.14353 SWA
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
archeology, art, collections, doctors, domes, doric columns, galleries, geology, Hunterian Museum and Art Gallery, museums, Old College, paintings, pediments, physicians, Romanesque, shells, University of Glasgow, women