The Forth and Clyde Canal at Port Dundas, with the canal company's office building just behind the prow of the approaching sailing boat. The vessels which navigated the canal were not only conventional narrow boats carrying goods or passengers, but also sea-going vessels from the North Sea and the Irish Sea. The buildings shown indicate the growth of the "industrial estate" which developed around Port Dundas. In the centre is the canal company's office.
The Forth and Clyde Canal linked the Firth of Forth with the River Clyde and was 39 miles long. A branch was cut from Hamiltonhill to a new basin on One Hundred Acre Hill above Glasgow 1786-1790, and the port which grew up around the canal basin was named Port Dundas in honour of Sir Lawrence Dundas, the Governor of the Forth & Clyde Navigation Co.
Reference: Mitchell Library GC 914.1435 GLA (1821)
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries, Information and Learning
canal basins, canal boats, canal wharves, canals, Forth & Clyde Navigation Co, Forth and Clyde Canal, governors, narrow-boats, offices, sailing boats, waterways