Allan and Ferguson's image of Greyfriars United Secession Church in North Albion Street, c 1821.
In 1821 the congregation of the United Secession Church in Shuttle Street moved to a new building in North Albion Street. They named it Greyfriars after the Franciscans, or Grey Friars, whose monastery once occupied part of the site. The new church was designed by the architect John Baird Jnr and its four Roman-Doric columns gave the rather plain building a dignity and presence that was much admired.
Greyfriars suffered a steep decline in membership after the Second World War and was closed. It was demolished in the late 1960s.
Reference: Mitchell Library GC914.1435 GLA (1821)
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries, Information and Learning
Associate Synod, churches, Franciscans, Grey Friars, Greyfriars United Secession Church, New Licht Burgher Church, Roman-Doric columns, Secession Church, Shuttle Street Church