The Nelson Monument was erected on Glasgow Green in 1806, the first in Britain in honour of Viscount Horatio Nelson, the (posthumous) hero of the Battle of Trafalgar. The 144 feet high stone obelisk stands on a plinth, and was designed by David Hamilton and built by the mason Andrew Brocket. It cost £2,000 and was paid for by public subscription.
The monument was struck by lightening in 1810 and 20 feet of masonry from the top was sent crashing to the ground.
Reference: Mitchell Library GC914.1435 GLA (1821)
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries, Information and Learning
Glasgow Green, lightening, monuments, Nelson Monument, obelisks, parks