Designed by the Edinburgh architect James Gillespie Graham, this chapel was built on the north side of George Street in 1819 for the Scottish Congregationalists when their chapel in Albion Street became too cramped for the numbers wishing to worship there. The minister was Ralph Wardlaw (1779-1853), a prominent Congregationalist theologian who campaigned against slavery and who had also helped found the Glasgow Theological Academy in 1811. The building was acquired by the Edinburgh & Glasgow Railway Co in 1842 for offices and was demolished in 1975.
Reference: Mitchell Library GC 914.1435 GLA (1821)
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries, Information and Learning
chapels, churches, Glasgow Theological Academy, Queen Street Station, railway stations, Scottish Congregationalists' Chapel, slavery, theologians, Wardlaw's Independent Church, West George Street Independent Church