Gorbals Parish Church, built 1806-1810 at the eastern end of Carlton Place on the south bank of the River Clyde. Designed by the architect David Hamilton, its splendid tower was 174 feet high but was destroyed by lightning. The rest of the building was demolished in 1973 to make way for the new Sheriff Court of Glasgow and Strathkelvin (built 1980-1986).
Reference: Mitchell Library GC 914.1435 GLA (1821)
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries, Information and Learning
churches, Gorbals Parish Church, lightning, Sheriff Court of Glasgow and Strathkelvin, Sheriff Courts, steeples, towers