St George's Tron Church was designed by William Stark and built 1807-1809 on Buchanan Street facing along George Street. The square in which it stands, once called St George's Place, is now Nelson Mandela Place.
The Baroque church tower is thought to have been heavily influenced by the work of Sir Christopher Wren while the lower portion of the church's east-facing facade is influenced by Nicholas Hawksmoor. The tower is 160 feet high and the four obelisks at each corner were intially planned to be colossal statues but there were insufficient funds for the work.
Reference: Mitchell Library GC 914.1435 GLA (1821)
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries, Information and Learning
churches, obelisks, spires, St George's Parish Church, St George's Tron Church, towers