Whitehill House at Easter Craigs was built by John Glassford, one of Glasgow's leading Tobacco Lords, c 1780. Easter Craigs had consisted mostly of farm and grazing land before merchants such as Glassford built houses there.
Glassford enclosed his entire estate at Whitehills with stone walls, forming ornamental gardens and fine walks. He lived there for only twelve years but the mansion survived well into the 19th century as an example of the Virginia merchants' taste.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 338.64 MER
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
farms, mansions, ornamental gardens, Tobacco Lords, tobacco merchants, Virginia merchants