A lithograph of the third hall of the Merchants' House in Hutcheson Street, designed by Clarke & Bell and which opened in 1843 adjoining the new Sheriff Court in the City and County Buildings which had their main entrance on Wilson Street. This splendid facade faces along Garth Street towards the Trades' Hall in the parallel Glassford Street.
In 1869 the court buildings were remodelled and the Merchants' Hall was converted to serve as the Small Debt Court. The Merchants' House met for eight years in the Bible Society's rooms at the corner of Virginia Street and Wilson Street, until their fourth building was completed on the west side of George Square in 1877. In 1986 the Sheriff Court of Glasgow and Strathkelvin moved to new premises in Gorbals Street, and the City and County Buildings complex was still empty and awaiting a new purpose (perhaps as an arts centre) at the beginning of 2003.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 338.64 MER
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
City and County Buildings, Clarke & Bell, Corinthian columns, Merchants' Hall, Merchants' House, Sheriff Court, Sheriff Court of Glasgow and Strathkelvin, Sheriff's Small Debt Court