This engraving by Robert Scott was cut in 1812 and shows Carlton Place on the south bank of the River Clyde opposite what is now Clyde Street and Glasgow Green. On the far right is the distinctive Glasgow Bridge. On the left is Gorbals Parish Church, designed by David Hamilton. The site is now occupied by the Sheriff Court.
Carlton Place contains two elegant tenement buildings each of 375 feet in length, with balconies in the middle and at the ends of their facades. The buildings were designed as a single architectural concept, a first for Glasgow, and were intended as the showpiece of Laurieston, the residential suburb built by the brothers John and David Laurie in the early 1800s. The original architect was Peter Nicholson, and the work was completed by John Baird Snr.
Reference: Mitchell Library, G 914.1435
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
architects, architecture, artists, balconies, bridges, churches, facades, flooding, Glasgow Bridge, Gorbals Parish Church, Jamaica Street Bridge, River Clyde, Sheriff Court, spires, steeples, towers, views