This view from Carlton Place on the south bank of the River Clyde, looking east, is by Sir John Carr in 1809. Behind Glasgow Bridge, demolished in 1847 and replaced by Victoria Bridge, is Nelson's Monument on Glasgow Green. On the left is the Merchants' Hall with its distinctive steeple and behind it to the left is the steeple of St Andrew's Church. The path from which the artist views this scene was a popular riverside walk at the time. The buildings on the right are the elegant town houses on Carlton Place.
Reference: Mitchell Library, 914.1 CAR
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
bridges, Glasgow Bridge, houses, Merchants' Steeple, monuments, Nelson's Monument, River Clyde, spires, St Andrew's Church, steeples, towers, Victoria Bridge