Hutchesons' Hall, or Hospital, on Ingram Street, looking north along Hutcheson Street, c 1805.
The original Hutchesons' Hospital was demolished in 1795 to make way for the laying out of Hutcheson Street. The building depicted here was designed by David Hamilton and completed in 1805 at the head of the new street. The distinctive octagonal spire is adorned with a clock and dial plate and stands 150 feet tall.
Although the residential function of the hospital continued, the Great Hall of the new building housed Stirling's Library (until 1844) and, subsequently, the clearing room of the Glasgow banks. In 1876 the Hospital gained full use of the Hall after a major refurbishment of the entire building during which the original three storeys were reduced to two. In 1984 the National Trust for Scotland launched an appeal for funds to purchase the building which now accommodates its regional office.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 941.435 DEN (1804)
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
banks, clearing rooms, clock towers, clocks, Great Hall, hospitals, Hutchesons' Hall, Hutchesons' Hospital, National Trust for Scotland, spires, Stirling's Library