This engraving is an example of the early work of Robert Paul. It is a view from Yorkhill of the River Clyde to the west of the River Kelvin, 1758. The quiet little fishing village of Govan is to the left, nestling among trees on the south bank of the river across from Pointhouse. The boat third from left is probably the Govan Ferry which made the crossing from Water Row to Pointhouse, but it appears to be heading for the unoccupied west bank of the River Kelvin.
The banks of the river to the west of Govan look peaceful and pastoral in 1758, but were to become crowded with some of the world's most famous docks and shipyards during the 19th century.
Reference: Mitchell Library, FA 24/1
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
boats, churches, ferries, fishing, Foulis Academy, Foulis Collection, Govan Ferry, Govan Old Parish Church, River Clyde, River Kelvin, shipbuilding