This engraving by J Lumsden is derived from a drawing by an artist named Hastie. Hastie’s drawing cannot have been completed before 1772 as the Jamaica Street Bridge in the foreground was only finished that year. More and larger vessels were coming up the Clyde at this time, with sailing ships drawing up to 7 feet of water making their way as far as the Broomielaw Quay.
At the southern end of the bridge, on the west of what would become Eglinton Street, is the Tollhouse. The nearby windmill (which gave its name to the Windmillcroft Quay) lies derelict. The distinctive cone of the Jamaica Street Glassworks is at the northern end of the new bridge and next to it the Ropeworks.
Reference: Mitchell Library, FA 18/3
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
artists, boats, bridges, Broomielaw Docks, cattle, cityscapes, Foulis Academy, Foulis Collection, Glasgow Bridge, horses, Jamaica Street Bridge, Jamaica Street Glassworks, River Clyde, Ropeworks, sailing boats, sailing ships, tollhouses, windmills