This engraving dated 1756 is one of Robert Paul's earliest works in the Foulis Academy. It shows the short avenue that led from High Street to the second Blackfriars Church, rebuilt in 1701 following the destruction of the Old College Church by lightning in 1670.
The building on the left of this image is thought to be the Principal's new house. Its construction was an extension of the University buildings south along High Street.
Reference: Mitchell Library, FA 17/3
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Blackfriars Parish Church, Foulis Academy, houses, Old College, Old College Church, Principal's house, University of Glasgow