A view of the University of Glasgow (left) and Blackfriar's Church (right) from the west, late 1660s. The image was derived from the original by Captain John Slezer, published in his Theatrum Scotiae in 1693. It was probably composed shortly before 1670, the year in which the church was destroyed by lightning.
The College Library (1782) and the Hunterian Museum (1804)were built on ground at the back of the east quadrangle. The main orchards, flower beds and herb gardens of the College Gardens can be seen in the background in this view, and beyond the gardens there was a large area used for playing fields by the students. The first houses in what became Professors' Court, built to the north of the main University buildings, were erected in the 1720s.
Reference: Mitchell Library, FA 3/2
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Blackfriars Parish Church, church spires, College Library, courtyards, entrances, Foulis Academy, Foulis Collection, Hunterian Museum, Molendinar Burn, Old College, Old College Church, Old College Gardens, orchards, playing fields, quadrangles, Theatrum Scotiae, towers, University Gardens, University Library, University of Glasgow