This engraving of the Virginia Mansion was made just before the building's demolition in 1842.
The Virginia Mansion was built in 1752 by the prominent tobacco merchant George Buchanan, on land that had been acquired by his father, Provost Andrew, for the purpose. It seems to have been modelled on the nearby Shawfield Mansion, although it was slightly smaller than its neighbour. The building occupied land between Back Cow Loan (now Ingram Street) and Wilson Street, and Buchanan laid out a street which he named Virginia Street, from the mansion gate south to Argyle Street.
The house was sold to another Tobacco Lord, Alexander Speirs of Elderslie, in 1770. It was subsequently acquired by a succession of prominent Glasgow families before being demolished to make way for a new bank in 1842.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 941.435 GOR
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
banks, Glasgow Bank, houses, mansions, Provosts, Tobacco Lords, tobacco merchants, Virginia Mansion