Empty casks and barrels outside cottages occupied by a cooper and a tavern keeper at 105 Stockwell Street, c 1820. The row was on the east side of the street, nearly opposite Jackson Street, on the former site of Glasgow's cattle market.
A sign above the door on the building on the left identifies Robert Jaferay's "Wine and Spirit Cellar", and above it the home of W Grant. On the neighbouring building there is a sign for Alexander Young.
In front of the building is the Stock Well, opened in 1638 and encased in a protective wooden structure. Behind, towering above the scene, is the Merchants' Steeple in Bridgegate.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 941.435 GOR
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
barrels, casks, cattle markets, cellars, coopers, cottages, Merchants' Steeple, pubs, taverns, wells, wine and spirit cellars, wine and spirit merchants