The Trades Hall in Glassford Street, c 1794.
Glasgow's Trades House was composed of representatives of the city's fourteen incorporated trades. It met originally at the Alms House in Cathedral Square but in 1791 work began on the erection of a new Trades Hall in newly-formed Glassford Street. It was built by Robert Adam in the Palladian style and consisted of shops on the ground floor with cellars below, and a main hall on the floor above. There were also two large rooms above the hall. It was completed in 1794 at a total cost of £7,927 18s 6d, which included over £900 for the site.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 941.435 GOR
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
architects, domes, guilds, halls, Incorporations, Palladian, shops, Trades Hall, Trades House