The Glasgow Guard House on the corner of the Candleriggs and Trongate, 1771. The guard house is the dark building on the left, with a sentry standing guard at the top of the stairs. In the distance, on the right side of this view, is the statue of William of Orange erected outside the Tontine building in Trongate in 1735.
The guard house was originally built on Candleriggs in 1757. The new building on Trongate was fronted by a set of Ionic columns and a sentry stood guard in the piazza at the top of the stairs behind. The building was demolished in the late 1780s and a new one built to make way for a new guard house.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 941.435 GOR
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
equestrian statues, Guard Houses, guards, horses, horses and carriages, houses, ionic columns, piazzas, sentries, soldiers, spires, steeples, ststues, Tolbooth Steeple, Tontine, William of Orange statue