Glasgow's infantry barracks in the Gallowgate, looking north with the University tower in the background.
The barracks were built in 1795 at a cost of £15,000, and could accommodate up to 1,000 men. Before their construction soldiers had been billeted with the town's inhabitants. The buildings were erected on the site of the city butts, where the burghers of medieval Glasgow had practiced archery and were required to gather at the time of the wapinshaws (weapon shows), to present their arms and armour for inspection.
The first regiment to be stationed at the barracks were the Argyleshire Fencibles. However, by the mid-19th century the buildings were in a a dire condition and in 1872 new barracks were completed on Maryhill Road. The old site was later used for a railway goods yard.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 941.435 GOR
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
archery, Argyleshire Fencibles, armies, army, barracks, infantry barracks, railway goods yards, soldiers, spires, The Butts, towers, University of Glasgow, wapinshaws, weapons