The Maxwell Tenement at 40 High Street, c 1830.
The building was erected c 1620 by the Deacon Convenor Patrick Maxwell. He had a crest made and placed between the windows of the first and second floor to celebrate his marriage to Bessy Boyd. Maxwell died in 1623. The building continued in the hands of five generations of his family, and extensive alterations were made over the years. It was demolished in 1856 and a warehouse built on the site for J & W Millar, wholesale and retail warehousemen.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 941.435 GOR
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
crests, Deacon Convenors, houses, J & W Millar, Maxwell Tenement, merchants, shops, tenements, warehousemen, warehouses