The former Campbells of Blythswood mansion at 109 Bridgegate, c 1790. Provost Colin Campbell (d 1706) built this house in the 1660s or 1670s, with a large garden at the back extending down to the River Clyde. He subsequently acquired the Blythswood estate and the Campbell family left the Bridgegate around 1720, after which the house was let to a variety of tenants, including an ironmonger, cooper, wright and plasterer. The old mansion was demolished in 1869 as part of the redevelopment required to allow the Union Railway access to St Enoch Station.
Although taken from an original image from Allan and Ferguson's lithograph of 1848, the names above shops and figures passing by in this image have been altered. The appearance of these figures suggests that this version was based on the appearance of the building during late 18th century.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 941.435 GOR
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries, Information and Learning
Blythswood Mansion, mansions, shops, St Enoch Station, Union Railway