Front view of Blackfriars Parish Church, also known as Old College Church, facing on to High Street c 1840. The church was built on the site of the old Dominican (or Black Friars') convent that was converted to a church after the Reformation.
The building was damaged beyond repair by lightning in 1670, and a new one erected in its place 1699-1701 at a cost of around £1,800 and with an inscription over the entrance, "Let Glasgow Flourish." The tower contained a bell over 7 feet in diameter (possibly salvaged from the original church tower), that was rung at 6 am and 6 pm each day.
The church was demolished in the 1870s, after the University of Glasgow moved to Gilmorehill, and a new Blackfriars Parish Church was built in Dennistoun.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 941.435 GOR
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries, Information and Learning
Black Friars, Blackfriars Parish Church, church bells, churches, Dominicans, lightning, Old College Church, spires, steeples, towers