Archbishop Gavin Dunbar (1495-1547) built the imposing gatehouse to the Bishop's Castle in 1544. His coat of arms - consisting of three Cushions within a double Tressure - was carved in stone above the portcullis.
This depiction is believed to be an accurate representation taken from several earlier sketches and maps.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 941.435 GOR
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Bishop's Castle, Bishop's Palace, bishops, coats of arms, gatehouses, portcullises