Glasgow from the south side of the river, c 1768. Clearly visible on the the north bank are, from the left; the conical bottle works of the Jamaica Street Bottle Works (built in 1730 and rebuilt in 1792); Glasgow Cathedral at the top of the Bell o' the Brae; the towers of the University of Glasgow, the Tron Church, the Tolbooth and the Merchants' Hall and, furthest to the right, St Andrew's Parish Church. In the foreground, on the south bank of the river, are (left) the ruins of an old windmill and (right) the village of the Gorbals, which hides the view of Glasgow Bridge.
A Robert Paul engraving from 1764 was probably a source for this work, which is compositionally very similar to the earlier Foulis Academy piece. The view must have been recorded early in 1768, as it does not include the Jamaica Street Bridge which was begun by John Adam that year.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 941.435 GOR
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries, Information and Learning
cityscapes, engravings, Foulis Academy, Glasgow Cathedral, glassworks, Jamaica Street Bottle Works, Merchants' Steeple, River Clyde, spires, St Andrew's Parish Church, steeples, Tolbooth Steeple, towers, Tron Church, University of Glasgow, windmills