The Trongate, from the corner of Stockwell Street looking east towards the head of the New Wynd. According to legend, "Charlie's Stables" (the out-houses in which the Prince's horses were stabled in 1745) were located on the site of a warehouse belonging to Thomas Chalmers, which is depicted but not identified in this view. The out-houses had been demolished in the 1830s.
This engraving is derived from an Allan and Ferguson lithograph. The original was published by Robert Stuart in his Views and Notices of Glasgow in Former Times in 1847.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 941.435 GOR
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
crow-stepped gables, horses and carriages, houses, street scenes, tenements