This view of the interior of Glasgow Cathedral, looking east, shows the screen which was erected in 1648 to separate the choir from the nave (where the two figures are standing) to create the Outer High and the Inner High. This was due to the fact that three congregations shared the cathedral at this time. From 1595 the parishioners from the Barony Parish worshipped in the lower church or crypt, below the choir. From 1648 the High Kirk congregation worshipped in the choir itself, behind the divide, and the nave housed worshippers from the eastern part of the city.
The Barony congregation left their gloomy quarters in the crypt when the new Barony Church was completed in 1798. The Outer Kirk congregation departed in 1835 and moved to St Paul's in Frederick Street.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 941.435 GOR
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Barony Parish, choirs, congregations, Glasgow Cathedral, naves, Outer High, Outer Kirk