Camlachie Mansion was owned by the prominent Walkinshaw family, the most famous of whom, Clementina, became Prince Charles Edward Stewart's mistress and fled to join him in France after the disasterous Jacobite rebellion of 1745-1746.
The mansion stood alone on the north side of the road which cut through the small village from west to east, and it was renowned as the only house in the area with a slated roof. The extensive grounds at the rear of the house stretched as far north as the road that became Duke Street.
When John Walkinshaw's coal mining enterprisings failed in the 1720s the house was sold to the city council, and the property was resold for £500 in 1734 to a merchant called John Orr. The house originally stood alone but as this engraving shows, buildings were subsequently erected against it and the lower floor was converted to shops.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 941.435 GOR
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Camlachie Mansion, houses, mansions, mistresses, shops