Blackadder's Aisle in Glasgow Cathedral.
St Kentigern (known as Mungo) is believed to have been buried on the banks of the Molindinar Burn in 603AD and there has been a Christian church on or near the site ever since. The present Cathedral building is the product of centuries of building and alterations.
The last of the great Cathedral builders at Glasgow was the first of its Archbishops, Robert Blackadder (1483-1508), who commissioned the construction of the south aisle shown here. It is believed that the Blackadder Aisle was intended as the lower stage of a grander construction, possibly to house a shrine to St Mungo.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 941.435 GOR
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Blackadder's Aisle, choir-stalls, crypts, Glasgow Cathedral, south aisle