Barony Church (right) and Glasgow Cathedral, c 1800.
Three congregations worshipped at Glasgow Cathedral after the Reformation. The crypt became the place of worship for the new Barony Parish in 1595 and in 1648 the nave was partitioned off from the choir to serve the East Parish. In 1798, however, the Barony congregation moved from the Cathedral's dark and gloomy crypt to this new church in Cathedral Square. It continued to meet there until a new Barony Kirk was built on the opposite side of Castle Street in 1890.
This engraving is strongly influenced by Robert Scott's "Views of the Barony Church" made for Glasgow Delineated in 1821.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 941.435 GOR
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Baronial, Barony Church, Barony Parish, cathedrals, churches, crypts, Glasgow Delineated, Reformation, spires, towers