The rear view of Blackfriars Parish Church, also known as the Old College Church, c 1840.
In 1246 a community of Dominican Monks (the Black Friars) built a convent on the east side of High Street. After the Reformation it was gifted by Mary Queen of Scots to the University of Glasgow and served as a parish church until it was struck by lightning in 1670. It was rebuilt in 1699-1702. Pews were reserved for the Principal, professors and students of the University.
The church was demolished in the 1870s, after the University moved to Gilmorehill. A new parish church was subsequently built in Dennistoun.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 941.435 GOR
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Black Friars, Blackfriars Parish Church, churches, Dominicans, lightning, Old College Church, University of Glasgow