The Avondale Arms at 182 Gallowgate,
The Avondale was built hard against the Gallowgate port, the city's east gate. It was a whitewashed 18th century inn with a half-thatched, half slated roof. Outside, in the street which was the way to the city's gallows until 1765, there hung a sign advertising the comforts to be had within: the first four lines were
All ye that pass through Gallow Moor
Step inside Helen Whitehead's door
She's what will cheer man in due course
And entertainment for his horse.
Helen Whitehead was reportedly a garrulous and portly landlady, whose tenants included carriers working the road to Strathaven. She maintained two noddies (small horse-drawn carriages) for her customers. From the 1840s until the 1870s the building was leased by the publican James Warnock.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 941.435 GOR
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
city ports, crow-stepped gables, doggerel verses, inn keepers, inns, landladies, poetry, publicans, pubs, taverns, thatched roofs