An engraving showing the south side of Argyle Street as it would have looked in 1794. It is derived from ‘Argyle Street, south side’ from Allan and Ferguson’s Views and Notices of Glasgow in Former Times, published in Glasgow in 1847. Two tenements have been removed from the original and some figures added.
Originally known as Westergait, Argyle Street led on from Trongate beyond the city's West Port. It was renamed in honour of the Duke's of Argyll, some time after the removal of the West Port in 1751.
The view also shows the top of Maxwell Street, originally just a narrow lane widened by James Oswald in 1742. It was named after the coppersmith Stephen Maxwell who made stills for the West Indies plantations. He built the three-storey tenement at the centre of this view, to accommodate the Merchant’s Hall Bank in which he was a partner.
Reference: Mitchell Library GC 941.435 GOR
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
barns, coppersmiths, Dukes of Argyll, figures, houses, Merchants' Hall Bank, plantations, tenements, Views and Notices of Glasgow in Former Times, West Port