This woodcut shows how this part of Kirk Street would have looked in 1747. In the centre is the Great Tower of the Bishop’s Castle. To the right is Lord Darnley’s Cottage and behind it, Glasgow Cathedral.
St Nicholas’ Chapel and Hospital are on the left, next to the tower. The Hospital was founded in either 1456 or 1471 by Bishop Andrew Muirhead as a hospice for twelve old men. It was removed in 1808 to allow the formation of St Nicholas Place and St Nicholas Street.
To the extreme left is the gable end of the Alms House or Trades’ Hospital which was built in the 17th century for members of the fourteen Incorporated Crafts, also known as Craft Guilds.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 941.435 GOR
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Alms House, Bishop's Castle, Bishop's Palace, cottages, Glasgow Cathedral, Great Tower, hospices, Lord Darnley's Cottage, Old Trades' Hospital, palaces, spires, St Nicholas' Hospital, towers