This view of Pollokshaws Road looking north from the Round Toll was taken around 1959, before the wholesale redevelopment of Pollokshaws in the 1960s. In the foreground, right, is the original Pollokshaws Methodist Church. The structure beside it on the edge of the pavement is a gents' toilet and beyond that is the Afton Terrace tenement. The clock tower of Pollok Academy is visible further down the street, on the right.
This scene was transformed within a few years. Change was heralded by the disappearance of the tramlines and overhead wires. Then the widening of Pollokshaws Road led to the demolition of the houses on the left, at the foot of the railway embankment. A similar fate awaited the buildings on the right with the exception of the tenement at Afton Terrace.
Reference: Glasgow City Archives, P10231
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
buses, churches, gents' toilets, motor cars, Pollok Academy, Pollokshaws Methodist Church, streetscenes, tenements, tramlines, trams