Cogan Street in Pollokshaws, photographed in 1956. This is one of a series of photographs taken by Glasgow Corporation's Architectural and Planning Department prior to the wholesale redevelopment of Pollokshaws in the 1960s. The condition of the houses illustrates why the Corporation felt the need to sweep away the remains of the old village.
Cogan Street was named after the firm of J & R Cogan, cotton spinners, who owned the Auldfield Weaving Mills in the mid-19th century. The large cotton mill had been built by John Monteith in the early years of the century, when it contained 200 looms driven by steam power, the first large-scale use of the power loom in Scotland. The mill was also the first in Scotland to have gas lighting.
At the beginning of the 21st century, Cogan Street is the site of Auldhouse Retail Park.
Reference: Glasgow City Archives, AP9/7/23/61
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Architectural and Planning Department, Auldfield Weaving Mills, Auldhouse Retail Park, cotton mills, cotton spinners, gas lighting, J & R Cogan, steam power looms, streetscenes, villages