A view of Pollokshaws from Pollokshaws Road opposite the Burgh Halls, looking north-east in 1956. This is one of a series of photographs taken by Glasgow Corporation's Architectural and Planning Department prior to the wholesale redevelopment of Pollokshaws in the 1960s.
The buildings in the background on the left are in Greenview Street at Pollokshaws Road. The low white buildings on the left are temporary fire station buildings, put up during the Second World War. In the distance, to the right, is the distinctive conical tower of the Infants' School at St Conval's Primary School.
Within a few years, this scene was totally transformed. In 1958 Pollokshaws was declared Glasgow's second Comprehensive Development Area. The tramlines were the first to go, as buses replaced the trams. Most of the housing in the picture was demolished, to be replaced by council housing of various types, including multi-storey flats.
Reference: Glasgow City Archives, AP9/7/23/54
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Archives
Architectural and Planning Department, CDAs, Comprehensive Development Areas, fire stations, Pollokshaws Burgh Halls, St Conval's Primary School, streetscenes, tramlines, tramways, urban redevelopment