Shawbridge Street in Pollokshaws, looking north-east in 1956. This is one of a series of photographs taken by Glasgow Corporation's Architectural and Planning Department prior to the wholesale redevelopment of Pollokshaws in the 1960s.
Prior to Glasgow's absorption of Pollokshaws in 1912, this street was Main Street. On the left is the corner of the Glasgow South Co-operative Society's shop. In the background, centre, are the clock tower of Pollokshaws Townshouse, the conical tower of St Conval's primary school, and St Mary Immaculate Church.
The Campbell Library is on the right, marked by the public library sign. Provost William Hector had established a subscription library in 1844 in the Council Chambers, and local businessman Robert Campbell left two tenements to house the library and reading room, which opened there in 1882. In 1912, the library was transferred to the care of Glasgow Corporation and plans were drawn up for new premises. However, it was not until 1968, after the Campbell Library buildings had been demolished, that a new library was built on the opposite side of Shawbridge Street.
Reference: Glasgow City Archives, AP9/7/23/39
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Archives
Architectural and Planning Department, Campbell Library, children, clock towers, Glasgow South Co-operative Society, Heinz Tomato Ketchup, libraries, Pollokshaws Library, Pollokshaws Townshouse, reading rooms, St Conval's Primary School, St Mary Immaculate Church, streetscenes, tenements