The conical tower of the Infants' School at St Conval's Primary School, in front of St Mary's RC Church in Shawhill Road, Pollokshaws, 1956. This is one of a series of photographs taken by Glasgow Corporation's Architectural and Planning Department prior to the wholesale redevelopment of Pollokshaws in the 1960s.
The earliest followers of the Catholic faith in the area were Irish and other workers on the Glasgow, Paisley and Johnstone canal, completed in 1810. St Mary's parish, which covered a wide area of east Renfrewshire, was formed in 1849, with Father Joseph Galletti as its first resident priest. A smithy in the Skin Mill Yard was converted into a chapel.
St Mary's Church was opened in 1864 on a site given to the church by Sir John Maxwell, who ignored a petition of opposition from some local residents. Built on a hill, the church commands fine views over the surrounding area. It is now known as the Church of St Mary the Immaculate.
Reference: Glasgow City Archives, AP9/7/23/32
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Archives
Architectural and Planning Department, chapels, Church of St Mary the Immaculate, church towers, churches, Glasgow, Paisley and Johnstone Canal, immigrants, Irish, navvies, Roman Catholic churches, schools, Skin Mill Yard, St Conval's Primary School, St Mary's Church