A milestone in Glasgow's housing history was reached in 1958 when a three-apartment flat, one up left, in Carriden Place in Easterhouse, was designated the 100,000th house to be built by Glasgow Corporation since 1919.
At a time when the success or failure of governments and local authorities was measured by the number of houses built, the occupation of the 100,000th house was seen as reason for celebration. The drive to build more council houses continued, and by 1965 the total had risen to 135,000. A report at that time envisaged that 100,000 houses would be cleared in the following twenty years, mostly in the city's twenty-nine comprehensive development areas. As it was estimated that no more than 40,000 houses could be replaced in these areas, the city faced a continuing overspill problem.
It was appropriate that the 100,000th house should be located in Easterhouse, an area which saw intensive development in the 1950s. During the years from 1953 to 1957, an average of 5,600 permanent houses were completed each year in the townships of Drumchapel, Castlemilk and Easterhouse.
Reference: Glasgow City Archives, AP9/7/27/24
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Bulletin, CDAs, comprehensive development areas, council houses, flats, Glasgow Corporation, housebuilding, housing estates, housing schemes, overspill, slum clearance