Tenement flats over shops in Harriet Street in Pollokshaws, 1958. This is one of a series of photographs taken by the Architectural and Planning Department of Glasgow Corporation prior to the wholesale redevelopment of Pollokshaws in the 1960s.
One of the problems associated with tramways as a form of transport is illustrated here, as there is clearly insufficient space for other vehicles to pass between the tramlines and the pavement. One parked vehicle could cause chaos.
Gavin Ramsay owned a double shop, a ladies' and gents' outfitters on one side, a stationer's and tobacconist's business on the other. The funeral parlour on the corner was owned by Robert Blair, undertaker.
Harriet Street completely disappeared in the 1960s. Thornliebank Road now follows approximately the same line.
Reference: Glasgow City Archives, AP9/7/28/100
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Archives
Architectural and Planning Department, flats, funeral parlours, outfitters, shops, stationers, retail, streetscenes, tailors, tenements, tobacconists, tramlines, tramways, undertakers