Four-apartment flats over shops in Machrie Road, Castlemilk, photographed soon after they were opened in 1958. The Machrie Road shops were the first to be built in Castlemilk, several years after the first houses were occupied.
Lack of amenities posed serious problems for Castlemilk tenants, particularly for the early settlers. The nearest shops were at the Croftfoot roundabout at the foot of Carmunock Road. Mobile shops and vans toured the estate, but their prices were not always competitive and many people preferred to return to the area where they had lived previously for shopping. In addition, children had often to travel to their old schools as school building programmes lagged behind house provision in Castlemilk. There were few job opportunities in the area, and working people usually faced long journeys to and from their workplaces across the city.
Gradually, shops, schools, and churches were completed and public transport services improved. However, the shops provided only a few limited job opportunities for locals.
Reference: Glasgow City Archives, AP9/7/28/96
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Archives
council houses, flats, housing estates, housing schemes, shopping, shops, streetscenes